Ladies and gentlemen its showtime! If you’re reading this, it’s safe to say you or someone you know wants to sell their home. Congratulations!
Now stop watching HGTV – yes I know Chip and Joanna Gaines are the greatest tv couple since Lucy and Ricky, but you’ve got work to do.
Here are 8 awesome tips (in addition to the 5 listed above) to make the selling process run smoothly.
1. First Impressions – By the time you finish reading this first tip, a potential buyer will have already made up their mind whether they want to purchase your house or not.
Anywhere from 0.1 of a second to 7 seconds is the average time it takes to create a first impression. Make sure your home is a good one!
2. Neutral Color Palette – Spain, Sweden and Switzerland are all neutral countries. Your home should be one too!
Make sure you swap out bold and bright colors for a neutral palette. This will help buyers envision themselves living in the space. Think hues of grays, tans, creams and whites.
3. Embrace The Season – Pumpkin spice and everything nice! Fall is the perfect time to sell your home, especially if you can’t wait to leave (get it?).
With multiple holidays in the fall you can take advantage by decorating your home to give it that cozy feel. Place some pumpkins on the steps, add some festive plants and hang a wreath.
4. Pick an Agent – You should interview at a minimum 3 agents (yes 3). Look on Zillow.com for homes that have recently sold in your neighborhood and see what agent listed them. Click on Find an Agent and see who shows up on the list when you search for your town, not the 3 listed on the very top of the page horizontally. They paid to be there! Look at the vertical list below for agents to interview.
Listen carefully to what the agents have to say on exactly how they are going to MARKET your home. Price is not the only aspect of a listing and if the emphasis to their presentation is price alone, then they’ve lost the point. Marketing is key in real estate right now, and the price should not be used to get you the buyer activity you need. Their marketing should drive the buyers to you.
Team Ellenbogen, located in Essex, Passaic, and Union counties in NJ, has a Technology Driven Visual Marketing Campaign they use to attract buyer activity to your listing. They believe in Re-Thinking Real Estate by presenting listings in a way to attract the buyer and then pricing it in that ‘sweet spot’ to get the buyers in the door. Check them out if you are in their area.
5. The Price Is Right – “Comeeeeee on downnnnnnnn you’re the next contestant on The Price Is Right!”
This is the hardest part. Listen to what your agent recommends. Remember, they know the market and have access to statistics directly from the MLS that you are not privy to when you look at your home value on Zillow or Trulia. Remember: Zillow and Trulia data is only as good as what is given to them by agreement with brokers and agents. If a brokerage doesn’t participate in the syndication, their data is not there, but it is on the MLSs, which only agents can access.
It is important to price accordingly. Selling your home is extremely emotional, but you have to detach yourself (as best as you can) and focus on what’s next. So do your research, consult an agent, be realistic, and get ready for the new chapter in your life.
6. Understand your buyer – College students looking for a crash pad? A family of four looking for outdoor space? A single bachelor who wants to throw parties? Young professionals who are going to become roommates?
Remember with the help of the internet all buyers are extremely knowledgeable. By understanding your buyer, you’ll be prepared for specific features they are looking for.
7. Hire A Home Inspector – In the words of Nike “Just Do It”.
Unless you’re a billionaire (hey Zuckerberg) buying a home is the biggest purchase a home owner will make. You should do everything in your power to make sure your home is close to perfect. You’d be surprised at what they may or may not find. This will make a huge difference when pricing your home and during negotiations.
8. Stage Your Home – If you want the most value for your dollar, stage your home!
Professional stagers will help turn your cluttered space into a photo ready home. It really does make a difference. Remember buyers are able to view your home before they even step foot in it. Staging your home will present a certain lifestyle that buyers are looking for.
As part of our listing service, Team Ellenbogen of Essex, Passaic and Union Counties in New Jersey, pays for a professional stager to come into your home and provide you with ideas. (that’s right! Our clients don’t foot the bill, we do!!) Our stager will help you with color choices and furniture placement, not as an interior decorator but a professional stager who knows what a buyer is looking for and wants. Her team will also bring in extra pieces to make your home stand out from the rest.
On the day of the professional photography shoot, her team will come in to oversee and prepare your home so that all the best features are highlighted.
For Team Ellenbogen
Feel free to visit our website,www.rethinkrealestatenj.com, for more information on real estate.
To connect on social media, you can like us on Facebook, tweet us @teamellenbogen, visit our Google+ page, view our videos on YouTube or follow us on our Pinterest page: ReThinkRealEstateNJ.com Team Ellenbogen.