You know that feeling you get when you rent the $60,000 a night luxury villa located on Richard Branson’s private Necker Island? No? Well, neither do we!
The point is that the buyer should feel like your home has great energy and a very welcoming vibe. So regardless if you live on a tropical island (maybe one day) or in busy suburbia, your home should create the perfect relaxed atmosphere. In order to do this, you will need to prepare.
As part of our listing service, Team Ellenbogen of Essex, Passaic and Union Counties in New Jersey, pays for (that’s right! Our clients don’t foot the bill, we do!!) a professional stager to come into your home and provide you with ideas. Our stager will help you with color choices and furniture placement, not as an interior decorator but a professional stager who knows what a buyer is looking for and wants. Her team will also bring in extra pieces to make your home stand out from the rest.
On the day of the professional photography shoot, her team will come in to oversee and prepare your home so that all the best features are highlighted.
To get your home prepared for the grand unveiling, here are 7 helpful tips to prep so you can assist in the staging process.
1. Declutter – Garage sales, Craigslist and eBay oh my! Unless you’re auditioning for an episode of Hoarders, get rid of stuff.
That 1980s Golden Girls track suit – please donate it. I promise it will not come back in style. Have any old dictionaries, encyclopedias or yellow phone books? Sell them, donate them, or properly recycle them.
2. Pepé Le Pee-eeeeew (Odors) – Unless your Pepé Le Pew please don’t chase homeowners away. GET RID OF ALL ODORS!
This will make or break your home sale. Since scent is the strongest thing tied to memory, potential buyers will always remember the scent of your home. Invest in a cleaning company or do the job yourself. But please remember – a pleasant scent will boost the value of your home.
3. Wash Your Windows – Its a bird, its a plane… no really its a bird that just smashed into your window, because of how clean it is. Make sure your windows are squeaky clean!
Having clean windows will brighten up your house by bringing in sunlight in. This will create a light airy feeling… oh and keep the vampires away. Unless you’re part of the Twilight cast because for some reason they sparkle in the sunlight.
4. Abracadabra (Illusions) – Ok the title is a bit silly, but selling a home sometimes can mean creating an illusion.
Now, you never want to deceive buyers, but there are tricks to making your home look even better. If you have a smaller home with low ceilings, adding mirrors, keeping the wall a light color and making use of hidden storage can work wonders.
5. Pressure Wash The Exterior – Aaaaachoo! Did you know that pressure washing your home removes allergens? Mold, dirt, mildew and algae are terrible for allergies and some could be life threatening.
Also, pressure washing keeps the itsy bitsy spider and his friends from reeking havoc. And the best part, it adds to that Curb Appeal you hear everyone talk about when trying to sell your home.
6. Make Repairs – It’s important to fix the broken items in your home. It’s important to fix the broken items in your home. It’s important to fix the broken items in your home.
Nope, that wasn’t a typo, I really did repeat those three sentences. Pretty annoying right? Well when you don’t fix things, the buyer becomes turned off. Now go on, get that squeaky floor fixed, paint the walls and have that rotted tree stump removed. It will be worth it in the end.
7. Define Each Space – Was that the bedroom, laundry room, or gym? When it comes to your home, please do not have your buyers guessing.
Each room in the house should have a clear and defined space so the buyers see exactly what they check out the pictures of your house online.
For Team Ellenbogen
Feel free to visit our website,www.rethinkrealestatenj.com, for more information on real estate.
To connect on social media, you can like us on Facebook, tweet us @teamellenbogen, visit our Google+ page, view our videos on YouTube or follow us on our Pinterest page: ReThinkRealEstateNJ.com Team Ellenbogen.